Derek Coburn: “Networking is Not Working”
Here’s what Derek addressed:
- Is it safe to assume you and your wife Melanie created cadre because … networking was not working?
- What are the biggest misconceptions people seem to have re: networking?
- You offer up the Seth Godin quote: “The value of your connections is worth more than the value of your services or widgets.”
- Who is networking FOR?
- What’s the best way to FOSTER these business relationships?
- What should people know about their follow-up efforts; system for follow-up?
- I find that very few people are hardwired to be CONNECTORS. Do you find this to be true? Does this require a paradigm shift for some?
- How much TIME should we be devoting to networking?
- Our mutual friend (and previous guest of the show) Ian Altman says, “Don’t tell people what you do, tell them what problems you solve.” You write about this…
- According to Bain & Co., your “raving fans” are responsible for 80-90% of your referral business. Have you found this to be true and how (specifically) can we create more raving fans from our networking efforts?
- When it comes to networking groups, does size matter?
- And what about simply HOSTING events? Do you recommend this?
- You talk about leveraging social media. What are some of the dos and don’ts?
- You recommend a handful of technology/online tools – can you name a few of your favorites?