Smart CEO Magazine Hall of Famer, Marissa Levin joined us in-studio to discuss her new book, Built to Scale: How Top Companies Create Breakthrough Growth Through Exceptional Advisory Boards
Here’s what we asked Marissa to address:
- You say, “Culture and people fuel growth. Growth does not fuel culture.”
- Tell us about your “SCALE” framework.
- When you build your own advisory board, what surprised you?
- How does a board of advisors differ from a board of directors?
- How does advisory board selection differ from traditional employee hiring?
- Name 3 things every board member must possess.
- Aside from compensation, what motivates board members to stay active and engaged?
- As an international business, do you think one should have international members?
- How has your advisory board impacted your leadership skills?
- Talk to us about the importance of exit interviews.
- What size companies can benefit from advisory boards?
- What are some key strategies in picking your advisors?
- Do you look for matching talents, or perhaps pick those very different from the types of people you surround yourself with?
- How long should you plan to use advisory board, is it necessarily an ongoing thing?
- What about compensation for board members?
- How often should you meet? What is a structure for that?
- How do you “close” an advisory board?
- Are there elections from time to time?