“Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us” (original air dates – 8/16/10 & 8/18/10)
Oprah Winfrey had interviewed Dan Pink twice and now it was our turn. We’ve been fascinated by his bestselling books on the changing world of work and Dan’s most recent bestseller, Drive was the topic of this day’s discussion.
Do you think you know what motivates your employees? Drive is about the evolution of motivation, intrinsic motivators, and how it is that many — perhaps even most — companies (at least in our opinion) may have it ALL WRONG.
Here’s what we asked Dan, in this 30-minute interview:
- Is it safe to say that this book is about: the evolution of motivation?
- When it comes to motivating employees, do companies today (by-and-large) have it all wrong?
- Why do you think this book has become so wildly popular?
- What inspired you to write about INTRINSIC MOTIVATORS?
- Do we need to have ALL 3 to survive within a company?
- Mastery is one of the big 3 — How do you define mastery? As a destination … or more of a journey?
- Of all the research you did, what did you find most fascinating?
- How do your findings relate to today’s economy and the future of business?
- Can we start to empower kids to dig down to the true motivations, not follow the expected path?
- How do we truly sit down and take away ANY limitations to our thought process? (unlearn)
- Stories of transformation…someone really realizes that they are not motivated to work in their field, and want to _________ a quick story to motivate us?
- How much has technology allowed us to pursue our new-found motivations?
- This must be a very “feel good ” subject, how do you coach people to ACTION, the crucial step?
- Are people super conditioned to believe that money is the motivation, and if it isn’t, something is wrong with you or you’re strange? (not cool)
- What can we do today to challenge our believed motivations?